The Computer Learning Center
A component of the Huntsville-Madison Senior Center
2200 Drake Ave SW, Huntsville, AL 35805
(256) 513-8293 or www.hsvclc.org
Basic Information (April, 2017)
The Computer Learning Center operates two computer classrooms at the Huntsville-Madison Senior Center.
· Classes begin about every six weeks.
· The schedule is posted on the CLC homepage at www.hsvclc.org.
· Classes meet for 2 hours twice a week for four weeks.
· Fees are $40 per course.
· Instructors are volunteers.
· All course materials will be supplied by the CLC at no additional cost.
The Core Curriculum consists of a course based on the current Microsoft Windows Operating Systems, Windows 10. This is the latest Microsoft Operating System released in July 2015 which combines popular features of previous Windows 7 and 8.1 operating systems including the former Desktop look and a new Internet Browser called Edge. All new computers purchased at retail stores will have Windows 10 installed. Clients will gain an understanding of computer fundamentals including the use of a mouse and keyboard, settings and the Windows filing system.
We recommend participants complete either the Windows 10 Operating System course prior to taking elective courses. Exceptions may be made when clients have experience with the material covered in the core courses.
Digital Photography: This course will explore how to enjoy your digital camera.
· Clients will discuss the techniques of taking interesting photographs. Clients are encouraged to bring a camera to class.
· How to download pictures to a computer and organize the image using free software will be taught.
· Software for completing basic editing of digital pictures is included.
Creative Digital Photography: Clients will use the free software program Paint.net for extensive classroom practical exercises in Creative digital photo editing. If you have had the basic digital Photography class or have knowledge and experience editing digital photos, this is the class for you.
Computer Security and Maintenance: This course provides insight for handling Maintenance and security issues in a personal computer.
· Security measures will be discussed and procedures for malware removal will be
presented. Information on free software for protection and cleaning computer will be provided.
· Computer update, imaging and hardware issues will be discussed.
IPAD (Apple): This course consists in defining the uses of the Apple IPAD, Settings, finding
and installing APPS, locating and using the audio and video features, browsing the
Internet with SAFARI browser and setting bookmarks, taking photos and storage of
digital photos and establishment of e-mail accounts. Students are required to have an Apple IPAD
and bring to class sessions along with their Apple ID PASSWORD.
Microsoft Office 2010: This course consists of discussing and using the 3 major elements and features of Microsoft Office 2010.
· “ WORD” Clients will use hands on exercises to explore the text preparation and editing features offered by Microsoft Word 2010. This class is for clients who enjoy the art of writing.
· “EXCEL SPREADSHEETS” This feature is designed for anyone who desires to keep financial and data records of all types utilizing Microsoft Excel 2010. Clients will learn to use the software to create charts and graphs.
· “POWER POINT” This feature is designed for preparation of presentations for business and personal use utilizing Microsoft Power Point 2010. Templates will be used to assist preparation of presentations and publications.